Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Valentine's Day

I had forgotten the importance that this holiday plays in the lives of first graders. To kick off the holiday I received a note from James’ teacher informing me that each of the students is expected to make a Valentine for each child in the class and a list of the student names was provided to me. I think this was a good idea since this should never be a popularity contest. But for parents who have 3 or 4 kids in school this week must be a complete nightmare. We headed out to A.C. Moore on Tuesday to buy glue sticks, construction paper, stickers, small envelopes and then a quick run over to CVS to pick up some candy hearts to round out the total effect. We only had one day to complete this task because we had dentist appointments on Thursday, an Education Fair at James’ School on Thursday night and the Valentines were due Friday morning.

To tell you the truth my heart (no pun intended) was not into this particular project at all. This whole process brought back memories of my Valentine’s days as a child. I remember the popular kids got tons of cards while the rest of us would get a few token cards which just reinforced the existence of social echelons which run deep in grade school. The number of valentines served as a reminder of where you stood on the social ladder. I really didn’t care or pay attention to any of that but I didn’t need to be reminded either. Being a guy made it a little easier, I think, so it didn’t matter that much in the later grades. But I am glad that they now have each child receive the same number of cards.

As we sat around the table that Tuesday night , cutting and gluing, Daniel asked if we were going to have a party to celebrate. I initially tried to ignore the question because my knee jerk answer was “no” . But as I thought about it a little more Valentine’s day does have its benefits. Among other things it gives married couples, with kids, a reason to pause amidst the chaos of raising children to share an intimate moment ……to exchange cards, flowers and to just appreciate each other in the “here and now” regardless of whether we are in good times or in the middle of a recession.

At the end of the night we agreed to have a party and make cupcakes on Saturday. So we started a new tradition (hopefully) of having a cupcake competition.






So, The 1st annual “Lynn Court Academy” Valentine cupcake bake off ended in a tie between Daniel and James. Daniels’ entry was named “Candy Island” while James submitted an intensely colored midnight maroon cupcake named “Umbrella”. Personally I thought Rebecca was going to win but she ended up taking second place with a Pink Candy Heart creation called “pinky”. It was well very done but she was disqualified at the last minute for consuming the cupcake prior to the judges viewing.


We had fun…. It was very messy and much scrubbing was required from head to toe.



.
.
.
.


No comments: