Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Picking up Rebecca

Well the big day is here, I didn’t sleep very well, I think partly due to the anticipation of taking on the responsibility of caring for Rebecca and missing Jeanine and the boys. I was up early and went for a walk around the neighborhood. Bouchon and Dina picked me up at 11:30am and we headed over to the baby store to get some baby food to hold me over until I get home and then off to “Rebeccas house”. We arrived and I just went straight up to get Rebecca. I walked into her room and she had this big smile for me and her arms were waving around, indicating for me to pick her up, which I did and we walked around the hallways one last time. It was strongly suggested to dress her in the snow suit I had brought with me (in case it got cold) and I just had to say no. I know it is late September but It was 71 degrees outside and she would roast inside the snow suit, she is “My” daughter now and I thought 3 layers of clothes, a hooded top and hat would suffice, so that is what she wore as her exit clothing. I brought her down stairs and we said goodbye to her doctor and the director Doctor Alma (photos) and headed straight to the airport. We got there with minutes to spare. It was a whirl wind as I tried to manage Rebecca…… our luggage……trying to get thru security….. trying to locate and re-secure our passports. I met Evone and Eli at our terminal and we spoke briefly as we both tried to juggle our newly acquired additions onto the plane. Rebecca was very scared and was looking around for a familiar face and was very stressed and upset at not finding one. As we sat in our seat she was shaking and physically upset, she wasn’t quite comfortable with me yet and seemed to need the comfort of her caregivers. I looked down and she had a grip on my shirt with both hands, so tight, that her knuckles were white. I tried to sooth her the best I could and she finally calmed down. I brought some bottled juice for her to suck on (to help with the pressure differential in her ears) as we took off but she rejected the bottle and screamed for about 40 minutes. As we reached altitude the pain in her ears seemed to subside and she started to play a little and take some juice. The guy sitting next to me was great he was a business man who knew kids very well. He was very understanding and helped distract Rebecca with some beads, keys etc. I had to laugh, to myself, because at one point he asked if Rebecca was a boy or a girl and here she was dressed in pink “everything” socks, hat, pants etc. It must be a guy thing because I would always do the same thing, when I met a baby, and ask if it was a boy or a girl and Jeanine would elbow me in the side and say “She is wearing pink, why would you think it was a he??” Guys just don’t notice things like that. Evone had worse luck than I did. Eli vomited on the guy next to her and she had to change her first poopy diaper at 10,000 feet !! So Nicholi was waiting for us as we came out of the airport. We got to the Hotel KazZhol and there was a really nice room waiting for us, with a crib, it was 6:30 – 7:00 so I prepared some dinner for Rebecca and we just hung out together and had fun. She fell asleep in my arms and I placed her in her crib and she slept thru the night.

2 comments:

jpippitt said...

Hi Hun -

The boys and I miss you!!! Can't wait to see you and Becky. Doing well - we are going to visit all the neighbors cornstocks then out to dinner this evening - green fish restraunt :)). Take it easy - I wish I could have gone with you to help out!! Take Care Love - Jeanine

Anjanette said...

Dan -

It sounds like you are doing a fabulous job. Enjoy your quality alone time with your new girl!

Anjanette